Presenters that take too much time, according to a study completed by AMA (the American Management Association) is listed in the top 5 most annoying presenter habits. On the flip side, …speakers that glance at their watch or phone during the presentation quickly lose credibility with the audience.
HB Live Recommends: Speaker Timers
Having a sense of time provided by speaker timers helps presenters speak at a comfortable pace without feeling rushed by an imaginary clock in their head.
Using speaker timers is also a simple and effective tool:
- That ensures your program stays on schedule.
- Helps make sure everyone’s time is treated fairly.
- Spares moderators the need to interrupt.
- Helps speakers end smoothly.
- Gives your event an overall professional appearance.
The Tech: Speaker Timers
A speaker timer is an automated timekeeper that controls a remote signal light alerting speakers to the end of an allotted amount of time.
Benefits & Value the Tech Creates
- Can be set to count-up or down.
- Can display and change Green/Yellow/Red indicators depending on presenter needs.
- Minutes can be added or shaved off the timer during the presentation offering flexibility if your program needs to change.
- Can be set to a clock – time of day feature.
Additional Speaker Timer Resources
- Speaker Timers – Limitimer Systems (dsan.com)
- 5 Ways to keep your speakers on time (speakerhub.com)
- Event Planning Checklist: On-site Tips from Top Speakers (damelionetwork.com)